Stem Cell Therapy for Neurodegeneration in India
Permalink | View Comments (10) | Post Comment | | Posted by Reason

An example of early applications of stem cell research forging ahead outside the US: "While stem cells have been making news around the world for their potential, and are even being tried on patients, Dr N K Venkataramana, neurosurgeon, BGS Global Hospital in Bangalore, has successfully used the therapy on patients suffering from Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's, cerebellar degeneration and cerebral palsy. 'I used adult mesenchymal stem cells derived from the bone marrow. They were transplanted into the brain through keyhole surgery. These stem cells multiply and thereby regenerate the damaged areas of the brain. This leads to reactivation of brain cells, resulting in recovery from the disease.' ... He created a state-of-the-art research facility - Advanced Neuro Science Allies - and began his research into the use of stem cell therapy three years ago. 'I picked out authentic mesenchymal stem cells from bone marrow using a marker. The stem cells were purified and tried on animals for safety. Subsequently, we used the therapy on patients. ... Initially, the findings are that we are on the course to a complete cure. All the patients treated so far have a marked decrease in the need for medication. Their symptoms have reduced drastically. They have an increased feeling of well-being and it is obvious that they are recovering. However, there are still some factors to be addressed and understood.'

Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Viva-Stem-cells-revive-dying-brains/articleshow/6811649.cms

Comments

Hi sir ,i need detailed information regarding stem cell therapy in spinomuscular atrophy .. any age limit for this therapy? about the success rate? and the cost factor?and do you do stem cell therapy in spinomuscular atrophy?

Posted by: Dr.Jyothi b sarvi at April 29, 2012 9:05 PM

Sir, I want to know about stemcell treatment for cerebral atrophy in benglore only. I am 58 years old lady , have developed this disease since last four years, I was able to walk and talk but it is worest now I am not able to talk a word or walk a step without support. So kindly letmeknow what todo? There is no treatment for cerebral atrophy but only stemcell treatment,kindly let me know how for itis successful, kindly educate me so Icahn go for it

Posted by: Adhir Aima at January 4, 2013 7:19 AM

Dear Sir

This is regarding my 4 yr old daughter. From the beginning she was slow in achieving developmental milestones. In the beginning doctors told me that it is a case of developmental delay. Now she is 4 yr 7 month old, she cannot stand on her own and cannot speak. She can sit without support and do very little activities while sitting such as holding a toy or reaching out for toys etc. Now doctors are of the opinion that she is case of cerebral palsy and autism spectrum disorder.She also gets fever induced seizures especially the very first day of fever. I happened to read about stem cell therapy and would like to know the scope for the same in my daughter's case. My wife had delivered a baby boy 3 months back and we have stored the cord blood and tissue, thinking that it would be useful for my daughter. I request for your kind guidance in this regard.

Posted by: Rajesh E P at October 3, 2013 4:00 AM

my family is cursed with cerebellar atrophy, please guide me to save my family

Posted by: meena at March 24, 2014 6:34 AM

I've been suffering from cerebellar Atrophy more than 25 years.

I can not walk.
I can not keep my balance.

with thanks.

Posted by: Milton Chowdhury. at June 26, 2014 11:58 AM

My son is 10years old he is suffering from cerebral palsy, he cannot speak, stand properly ,continously saliva will be going from mouth by this stem cell thearapy
he could be better please send the message

Posted by: Mrs.Komala at November 21, 2014 6:58 AM

hello sir
My husband is suffering from cerebellar ataxia, having problem in maintaining balance,sometimes titubation( head tremor), difficulty in speech. he is taking regular physiotherapy and is better with exercise. Can cerebellar degeneration stop or improved by stem cell therapy .
please give me guidance

Posted by: Sonu shah at November 22, 2014 6:52 AM

Hello Sir
I am suffering from cerebral atrophy I have difficulty in speaking I am also trying medicines and speech therapy but it not showing very good results. Because of this my social and Personal life is in trouble, what type of therapy or stem cell therapy can reduce this problem?

Posted by: Rupesh Jaiswal at December 13, 2014 12:05 AM

hello sir my father is suffering from cerebral atrophy. I have seen a few youtube videos showing atrophy patients recovering using cerebral atrophy. Is it really possible?

Posted by: sunny at January 5, 2015 4:38 AM

My daughter is suffering from cerebellar atrophy. Is it possible to treat her with this therapy?

Posted by: azeem arshad at March 6, 2015 4:20 AM
Post a comment; thoughtful, considered opinions are valued. Please note that comments incorporating ad hominem attacks, advertising, and other forms of inappropriate behavior are likely to be deleted.

Remember personal info?